Incase it is not already obvious by the main ingredient in this recipe, I am currently in America visiting family. I thought I'd try out a couple recipes over the next weeks using ingredients that are easier to find in America. First up was an idea I'd been holding onto for a while, chicken using flavored crackers as the bread crumbs. In this case, I have opted for Cheez-Its! If you can get past their amazing glowing orange exterior, you are sure to love them as much as I did.
You will need:
3 large chicken breasts
3 cups Cheez-Its (original) crackers
1 1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp spicey brown mustard (or 2 1/2 tsp yellow mustard)
salt and pepper for seasoning
Non-sticking cooking spray or low-cal oil spray
Note: For added cheesiness add in 2-3 Tbsp of cheddar cheese powder to the sour cream/mustard mixture (you can lift this powder from a kraft mac n cheese dinner box or find it in some grocery stores)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Rinse chicken and chop into bite size pieces or into chicken strips.
3. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
4. In a food processor or a strong large kitchen bag, crush 3 cups of Cheez-Its to a fine breadcrumb. Pour into wide bowl or plate and set aside.
5. In a wide bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup sour cream and mustard. Mix.
6. Coat chicken pieces in sour cream/mustard mixture and dredge in the crushed Cheez-Its.
7. Place on a non-stick greased oven tray.
8. Spray the tops of the chicken with low-cal oil spray for added crispiness and crunch.
9. Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes, a few minutes longer if making large chicken strips.