Country Flower Pot Pie is a hybrid of southern comfort food and the oh-so-British tradition of putting meat in a pie. You can also add any vegetables you see fit.
There are three sections to baking a Country Flower Pot Pie:
Part 1: Cooking the white pepper sauce.
Part 2: Cooking the turkey or chicken (I've gone for turkey this time).
Part 3: Making the biscuit flower.
It is wise to be multitasking... while cooking your poultry I suggest also working on the biscuit flower so your meat doesn't go dry.
Part 1. White Pepper Sauce, you will need:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 to 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
2 cups milk (skim or lowfat milk works fine)
1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules (1.5 cubes)
tiny pinch of onion powder
1. Whisk together oil and flour.
2. Slowly whisk in milk
3. Mix in pepper, bouillon, and a tiny pinch of onion powder.
4. Cook sauce until thickened and set aside.
Sauce should be rather thick, as it is what holds together your pie!
Part 2. Cook your poultry, you will need:
3 medium chicken or turkey breasts
1. I like to cook mine for 10-15 minutes in the microwave at a medium heat, covered in a casserole dish with some water at the bottom (flip halfway through). Just be sure it is reasonably cooked through, as microwaves vary.
Part 3. Biscuit flower, you will need:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter (or margarine works fine) -room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1. In a sifter, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Sift into a bowl.
2. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut butter into the dry mixture.
3. Add milk and stir.
4. Using your hands, mix and knead into a dough.
5. Press dough into the base of a (preferably glass) pie dish.
6. Remove dough circle and cut into 6ths (see photo).
7. In the pie dish, combine the white pepper sauce and the cooked turkey.
8. Arrange the biscuit dough in a flower pattern on top of the turkey/sauce mixture.
Bake at 400 °F (around 200 °C) for around 20 minutes or until biscuit becomes a light golden brown.