Here is the recipe for the Black Forest cake from my Valentines post. I've always been a sucker for the taste of chocolate and cherry together...... but not so much a fan of actual cherries. For this reason, I have modified the typical Black Forest cake recipe accordingly. I've also used a fluffier frosting than usual, the recipe for which can be found below. It includes more milk and uses flour as a thickener in addition to the icing sugar. However I'm sure a normal vanilla buttercream would be yummy as well!
You will need:
1 recipe dark chocolate cake batter yielding 3 9x.5-inch cakes, prepared (about the same as 24 cupcakes)
1. Prepare and bake the cake, distributing the mix amongst 3 cake pans. Reduce baking time accordingly (as smaller cakes will cook faster).
For the frosting you will need:
1/2 cup milk
5-6 Tbsp flour
3-4 cups powdered icing sugar
1 cup (220g) slightly-softened unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
Cherry or Black Cherry Jam/Preserves (approx 1 cup)
1. Prepare frosting by creaming butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, and sugar.
2. Continue beating mixture, and add in flour 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
3. Spread jam on the bottoms of the top 2 cake layers.
4. Spread frosting on the top of bottom two cake layers and stack cake.
5. Frost the remaining surfaces and decorate however you see fit! Mine is (quite obviously) a valentines cake, the decoration frosting has been colored using extra jam.