Okay, so, I realize this is completely the wrong season for Hot Chocolate. But it is, obviously, not necessary to serve these cupcakes warm! So enjoy hot chocolate in a summer-friendly cupcake-format! Word of warning, these cupcakes are as sweet as you might expect!
For the cupcakes, you will need:
1 recipe Devil's Food cake batter yielding 24 cupcakes, prepared
2 cups marshmallow creme
2. Remove a cylindrical core of cake from the center of each cupcake, about one inch deep. I used a thin knife for this task.
3. Fill a pastry bag (or a strong sandwich bag with the corner cut off as a mock-pastry bag) with marshmallow creme.
4. Pipe into the centers of each cupcake.
Note: Filled cupcakes do not have the shelf life of regular cupcakes, as they may grow soggy from the inside if not consumed in a couple days.
For the Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe
you will need:
6 Tbsp butter - room temperature
5 cup powdered sugar
4-5 Tbsp milk
Cocoa powder (about 1 Tbsp)
Mini marshmallows (decoration)
1. Combine room temperature butter and marshmallow creme in a medium bowl and beat together.
2. Beat in milk and powdered sugar.
3. Frost cupcakes, being very careful not to let the frosting get pushed into the filling area.
4. Sprinkle cocoa powder through a sieve/strainer (to break up clumps) over frosted cupcakes.
5. Top with three mini marshmallows!