Pop! Cupcakes use your favorite soda in place of the water in any cupcake recipe or mix. I'm sure some combinations are amazing, such as root beer or cherry coke with vanilla frosting, creating a mock ice cream float.
I once had a Mountain Dew cupcake from a posh cupcake shop in a yuppie town in Wisconsin. I can't remember the name of the town, but it would be happy at home on the 'Stuff White People Like' website. Anyways, it sparked my imagination and I attempted to recreate the cupcake at home with shortcuts and cola.
Possible Variations (of which remain untested, bar the Vanilla Coke): Coca Cola, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Grape Soda, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper
You will need:
1 recipe vanilla cake batter yielding 24 cupcakes, prepared
1 1/4 cup Coca Cola
1. Prepare cupcakes according to recipe instructions, substituting the necessary water with just over 1 1/4 cup Coca Cola.
(For stronger cola taste, simply heat the cola on the stove. This cooks off some of the excess water and creates more of a syrup. Make sure there is at least 1 1/4 cup soda to add to the cake mixture.)
2. Bake as directed.
3. Frost with a complimentary frosting. In this case, I frosted my Coca Cola-flavored Pop! Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup unsalted butter
8 oz. cream cheese (full fat)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
3 cups powdered sugar
1. With an electric mixer, whip room temperature-butter with cream cheese.
Note: Cream cheese should be somewhere between fridge-cold and room temperature for desired consistency.
2. Add clear vanilla extract and milk at the point of a butter/cream cheese paste.
3. Beat in 3 cups powdered sugar (or add to your desired sweetness/consistency).