Dark Chocolate and Cream Cheese Button Cookies are so incredibly intense in rich-chocolate-coffee flavor, made moist and chewy by a topping of sweetened cream cheese. This recipe is a spinoff from this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens "New Cookbook".
Their recipe calls for:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark is THE BEST)
1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 egg whites
1/3 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Bake at 350 °F (approx 175 °C)
1. Beat butter or margarine for 30 secs.
2. Add brown sugar, cocoa, coffee, baking soda, and cinnamon and beat until combined.
3. Beat in egg whites and yogurt until combined.
4. Beat in flour. If mixer stalls, finish mixing by hand, as dough becomes quite stiff. It will take on the appearance of dark, yet yummy, tar. Place dough in the fridge.
5. In a clean bowl, cream milk and cream cheese together. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
6. Roll cookie dough by the tablespoonful into tiny balls, then roll dough in a small bowl of granulated sugar.
6. Using a teaspoon measurement, press it into the center of each cookie to create a dip (see picture).
7. Fill the centers with the cream cheese mixture, being sure not to overfill.
8. Bake at 350 °F for 10-12 min, 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.