Whimsical Cookery is a site for adults who prefer to eat like children, or perhaps just need to cook for some children. This site contains an aversion to vegetables, a love of fried food and cupcakes, lazy shortcuts, some disturbing creations, and an ignorance of proper culinary practices...

Sunday 8 August 2010

Listy


I made a Czech dessert called Listy!  This cookie is fried and covered in powdered sugar, hence my interest.  I had started browsing THIS BLOG full of Czech recipes after Colleen suggested I make these Fruit Dumplings.  However, it was the Listy cookies which caught my eye.  Listy cookies are my first attempt at any eastern European cooking, and I think they turned out alright.  I had an awful time rolling out the dough though, so I ended up adding more half and half than the recipe called for.  And I used far more powdered sugar than the recipe required. 
These cookies also remind me a bit of Mexican dessert Sopapillas (fried and puffed dough) covered in powdered sugar and drizzled in chocolate or other sugary sauces.

Recipe borrowed from My Favorite Czech Recipes
3 egg yolks
1 egg white
1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons half and half
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
3 tablespoons powdered sugar (for dusting)


1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl.
2. Mix in sugar, half and half, salt, and vanilla.
3. Slowly add in flour making a pie crust type of dough.
4. As soon as blended, roll out dough until very thin.
5. Cut into triangles or “dorito” shapes.
6. Heat oil in pan or skillet.
7. When oil is hot enough for frying, drop in triangles and fry until lightly browned on each side.
8. Drain on towels.
9. Dust with powdered sugar.