Okay, so it took me several months to get this up here! I got married last November in a beautiful ceremony in east London. The day before the wedding, my mum, one of my bridesmaids, and I were all baking around 140 cupcakes in a style reminiscent of Cupcake Wars. It was great fun and the guests seemed to enjoy the cakes!
You will need
480g cake flour
1tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
30g vanilla bean paste
IMPORTANT NOTE: To make a batch of cake flour if you cannot buy it, substitute 2 Tbsp of corn starch (corn flour UK) for every 1 cup of standard flour used. The best way I found to do this was to take a cup measurement, add 2 Tbsp corn starch, and then fill the remainder of the cup with flour. You then need to sift these ingredients together.
1. Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in sugar.
2. In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar. Mix and let sit 1 minute.
3. Add oil to milk and vinegar and whisk.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquid into the center. Stir until you have a paste and then begin whisking to remove lumps.
5. Line your cupcake trays and fill 2/3 full.
6. Bake at 175C/165C fan ovens for 15-17 minutes.
Vanilla Bean Frosting
225g unsalted butter (room temperature)
500g powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 Tbsp milk
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Add powdered sugar (a bit at a time) and beat until smooth.
4. Add milk with care, only when adding the sugar starts to dry out the frosting.