This dish is a perfect subtle creamy lemon pasta with chicken (or chicken-style pieces for a veggie-friendly version). Despite the dark/grim background of the photo (it was dark by the time dinner was finished), creamy lemon pasta with chicken is actually a perfect spring or summer dish. Feel free to omit the chicken, and make it as a side dish for your main. Lemon goes well with fish right? Does pasta go with fish? So many questions.
Questions aside, this dish has become a household favorite, and has been made many times since that photo was taken.
Note: Plan ahead, as chicken needs to be cooked and have time to soak up the lemon juice.
You will need:
250 grams of Farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
3 medium chicken breasts fully cooked (preferably baked) and thinly sliced
2 tsp garlic powder (divided in half)
1 tsp ground black pepper
12 oz. (350ml) hot water
with two dissolved chicken stock cubes
1 cup (approx 235ml) heavy cream
2 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
A further 1/2 cup lemon juice for marinading
1 large sealed plastic bag
Parsley or lemon for garnish if desired
1. In a plastic bag, add COOKED chicken, 1 tsp garlic powder, pepper, and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Press as much air out of the bag as possible, and seal. Store in fridge for 2 hours.
2. Prepare pasta either before/after/simultaneously, depending on whether you wish to reheat sauce.
3. In a large saucepan, heat oil and stir flour into oil to create a roux.
4. Add in hot water/chicken stock and stir until thickened and smooth.
5. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice followed by the heavy cream.
6. Stir in remaining 1 tsp garlic powder.
7. Remove from heat and add chicken. Do this by cutting a small hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze out the juice. Add chicken to the pan.
8. Heat thoroughly, stirring constantly so cream does not scorch.
9. Either add pasta and stir, or pour over prepared pasta and serve.