This is a rather trashy takeoff on my rather traditional pavlova... it is a meringue filled with Jello-O chocolate fudge pudding and topped with whipped cream peaks.
You will need:
3 large Egg Whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
8oz. Cool Whip lite or fat free OR make your own whipped cream using heavy cream/whipping cream, sugar, and a bit of clear vanilla or almond extract.
1 package chocolate fudge pudding
1. Separate egg yolks from whites, adding whites to a mixing bowl.
2. Mix egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy (medium speed).
3. Once frothy, mix in sugar, cream of tartar, and salt, adding just a bit at a time.
4. Continue to beat, this time on high, until mixture becomes stiff and peaks of egg white stand up on their own.
5. Spread into a 9 inch circle on parchment paper (or an equivalent), leaving an indent in the top for cream/fruit later.
6. Bake at 225F for approx 70 minutes. At this point, the pavlova should be dried/firm. Quickly close oven door.
7. Prepare pudding mixture (this generally calls for you to mix 2 cups milk with powder and allow to sit, I recommend chilling this in the refrigerator while pavlova finishes baking).
8. Turn off heat on the oven and leave the pavlova in the oven for an additional 90 minutes.
8. While it cools, spread pudding mixture in the indent and either cover with whipped cream or place whipped cream in a pastry bag (or plastic bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe whipped cream to make peaks/patterns.