4 egg whites
4 drops of lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 tsp mint extract
1 1/2 granulated sugar
1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until white and frothy.
2. Add 4 drops of lemon juice, salt, and mint extract. Slowly add the sugar while beating.
3. Beat mixture until it is able to hold stiff peaks and does not slide out of the bowl if held at an angle or upside-down. This may take a while, but is very important. After mixture has thickened is a good time to preheat the oven to 225 °F (about 110 °C)
4. Add mixture to a large pastry bag (or strong plastic bag with a corner cut off to act as a pastry bag).
5. Pipe out in a spiral (see top photo).
6. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 225 °F. Leave the meringues in the oven for another hour without the heat on. Do not open the oven until after this hour.