I cannot stress how amazingly yummy these Orange Chicken Egg Rolls are! I set out two to eat, and ended up raiding the fridge for a 3rd. So full... but so happy!
You will need:
3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
Egg Roll Wrappers
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 Tbsp orange zest (for mild sauce)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup water
Small bowl of water
1. In a medium pot, dissolve 1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch in 1/4 cup water.
2. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, orange zest, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar and bring to a boil until sauce thickens.
3. Run sauce through a sieve to strain pepper flakes and orange zest. This is unnecessary if you don't mind the orange bits or pepper flakes! Then return sauce to pot.
4. Add shredded chicken to the sauce and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
5. Lay out an egg roll wrapper. Using tongs, lift a small portion of chicken and form into a line. Be sure to shake off excess liquid. If the sauce leaks out while frying, this will cause the oil to spit.
6. Fold the sides of the egg roll over and roll the egg roll, tucking one side underneath the filling to ensure a secure roll.
7. Dampen the end of the egg roll to form a seal, as this will act like a glue.
8. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry egg rolls, 2 or 3 at a time (careful not to overheat the oil, aka smoking oil = bad). Turn them onto paper-toweled surface to soak up excess oil.