Spicy sausage and tomato penne is the perfect dish when you are in need of some easy comfort food! It honestly took me longer to do the dishes than to make the food. I can only imagine how easy this would be if I had a dish washer... A girl can dream!
220g/≈8oz penne pasta
250g/≈9oz white mushrooms
570g/ 20oz tomato spaghetti/bolognese sauce (spicy, if possible/to taste)
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of salt
8 thick-cut pork sausages
*I feel like 6 brats may be a good substitute
You will need a large pot or deep frying pan
1. Cook penne according to package instructions. This can be done on another burner while working on the sauce to save time,
2. In a large pot or deep frying pan, brown and thoroughly cook sausages.
3. Remove sausages from pan, but retain the fat/juices. Allow sausages to cool slightly.
4. In the mean time, prepare and cut mushrooms into medium-large slices.
5. Fry mushrooms in the sausage fat/juices. Remove mushrooms from the pan and set aside in a container to keep warm. Discard any extra fat.
6. Slice sausages into coins when they are no longer too hot to touch. This may be done while mushrooms are frying if you can multi-task.
7. Once the mushrooms have been removed from the pan, return the sausage coins to the pan and heat until you hear sizzling.
8. Add the tomato sauce to the pan over the sausages. If you dislike bits in your sauce, you may wish to run in through a strainer like I did.
9. Add a pinch of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
10. Stir and allow sauce to simmer on a very low heat, with the aim of the sausage juices and flavors mixing into the tomato sauce.
11. Serve sauce over penne. Top with mushrooms. Ta da!