I have also realised that some of my recipes, while feasible to make using ingredients commonly found in England, are often very american. For more recipes from an american expat in England, visit Orion's Lounge! Also good if you enjoy a bit of humour with your recipes.
You will need:
2 3/4 cup (approx 360g) flour
1 1/3 cup (300g) caster/fine sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup (approx 350 ml) buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup (approx 75g) butter
1 cup (approx 270g) bramley apple sauce
½ tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup packed (approx 150g) brown sugar
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter, room temperature
Yield: 16 large muffins
1. Prepare the topping by combining all four ingredients using a fork or a pastry blender. Set aside.
2. Prepare the filling by simply mixing the apple sauce with the cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Next , prepare the muffin mixture. In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
5. Slowly stir the buttermilk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
6. Melt the butter for the muffin mix in the microwave.
7. Add butter to muffin mixture and stir until smooth. Use an electric mixer if necessary, but do not overbeat.
8. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the filling for bakery size muffins (or a bit less if using standard baking cup size).
9. Fill the muffin cup until just over 2/3 full.
10. Sprinkle topping.
11. Bake for around 20 minutes for bakery size muffins. Reduce time if using smaller muffin cups.
12. Serve warm.
If you prefer a more pie-like muffin, you can try putting the filling right at the bottom, but I can't promise you it won't scorch :/