Basically, I enjoyed this cake so much that I felt the need to turn it into a cupcake. So I present an incredibly simple short-cut-filled route to Black Forest Cupcakes.
Note: If you prefer, you can core your cupcakes and fill with the cherry jam instead of having it float on top. However, that jam WILL leech into the cupcakes, so you'll have to force everyone around you to eat a cupcake before they go bad (I'd give them about 24 hours max). :P But you'll probably make a lot of friends, so that's fine then! :)
For the cupcakes you will need:
1 recipe Devil's Food cake batter yielding 24 cupcakes, prepared
1 jar of black cherry jam/preserves
1. Simply bake the cupcakes as directed.
2. Spread a generous amount of cherry jam in the center of the cupcake's top.
3. Frost (recipe below) using an icing bag, as you will need to start from the outside and swirl in, otherwise the frosting will slip around in the jam.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
You will need:
1 cup butter (two sticks) - room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp clear vanilla
1/4 cup skim milk
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter.
2. Add milk and vanilla.
3. Add powdered sugar and beat, one cup at a time, until smooth.
4. Frost cupcakes.
Note: Serve same day as cupcakes are topped, as jam will seep into the cake and/or the frosting. If making in advance, store un-frosted until day of serving.